Falling for Fell’s Point

Falling for Fell’s Point

Fell’s Point, for those of you who don’t know, is a fun and adorable part of the Baltimore Harbor area. It is home to various restaurants, shops, and activities. What I love most about it is the scenery. I think the architecture of the buildings is neat, the shops are quaint, the restaurants are cool and quirky, and the water is right there.

I’ve only tried a few places to eat around there (Barcocina and Smoothie King), but there were plenty more I’d like to try out. There was one restaurant/bar, The Horse You Rode In On, that I kept passing and wanted to try out. There was always music coming from inside, the people looked happy, and the atmosphere just looked cool. Many of the places in Fell’s Point have a similar vibe, which is what makes it so hip I think. It’s kind of retro and hipster in one.

The shops are also really cute too. The ones I went into were pretty small but more like boutiques and independent shops rather than chain stores. It This gives the area a more homey and cozy feel, at least to me. There were furniture stores, clothing boutiques, record shops, and so many other places to stop by and peek into. The coffee shops were made for taking cute pictures sipping delicious coffees and lattes, and the aesthetics of the buildings will please your eyes every time you look around.

My favorite part of Fell’s Point is the weekend flea market (for lack of a better term). On summer/ fall weekends, people put up tents and tables and sell all kinds of cool items. I happened along one Saturday and came out of it with five records for $15. The guy selling them had so many and was very knowledgable about each one. Most of the record were legit as well. He said he’d had most of them since the 70s. I got some albums from ABBA, Boston, and others of that variety. My mom also gifted me a gorgeous heavy silver with turquoise ring that we had seen in the tent of a woman selling a bunch of silver jewelry. It was all so exquisite and real. One thing about this market is that everything is all real and legitimate. They sell things like records and jewelry, as well as vintage signs, comics, and clothing among other things.

Everything in Fell’s Point is within a short walking distance, so there’s not really any trouble getting from one place to the other. At night, it becomes the place to be with many young people going out and enjoying the night. Because of that, there is an air of activity about it and you can just feel the good times in the air.

Ciao for now!


Venice Day 6: Morning, Market, & Mare

Venice Day 6: Morning, Market, & Mare

June 9, 2017 Friday

This was the first day that I did not have class, yet I still chose to wake up early, earlier than for class I might add. The reason behind this madness was that a group of us had decided the day before to catch and early vaporetto to the city so that we could go to the fish and fruits & vegetables market and then from there go to Lido (the beach island). We probably arrived at the market around 9 am and just walked through it, looking and taking everything in. One sight that surprised and intrigued me was a man handling octopus or squid and the ink that covered the surface of the table and his gloved hands. It was a pretty unusual, and neat, sight to see. While there, I also bought a bag of some beautifully red cherries that only cost me two euro. I put them in my bag to eat later, and then we all walked away eating some strawberries that another of my friends had bought. Those too were bright red and incredibly flavorful.

After the market, we walked to Cafe Farini where we each got something to drink. I bought an espresso (my morning drink of choice in Italy) and we sat there for a while, talking and listening to some American music probably from the late 1980s. We planned to meet up with another of our friends before we headed to Lido. So, we walked to the place with all the vaporetto stops and waited probably 45 minutes for our friend, but she never showed up, so we just took the 11:40 vaporetto to Lido.

Once at Lido, we walked down the main street trying to figure out where the public beach was located. We stopped at one of the many little beach shops located along the sidewalk so that I could buy a beach towel. I found an inexpensive funny purple towel that was designed to look like a 500 euro bill. We then continued on our search for the beach, which ended up being a five or ten minute walk from there all the way at the end.

We found the bathrooms, changed into our swimsuits and flip flops, then headed out onto the sand to claim our spot on the beach. It was midday at this point and the sun was beating down pretty hard with barely a cloud in the sky so it was pretty hot out. When we found an area that was to our liking we put our bags down, set up our towels, and lathered on sunscreen. I went for a quick dip in the water to cool down, and it was glorious. About half an hour after we arrived, the friend who was supposed to meet us in the city found us and said she hadn’t found us in the city, so she came to the beach and wandered around looking for us. (I’d like to add that this is the same friend who we thought went missing just a couple days before haha.) We welcomed her and she set up he towel and belongings and joined us in experiencing the sunny day.

At one point, probably around 2 pm, we realized we hadn’t had lunch so I took out my cherries and Caroline took out her strawberries and we satisfied our appetites with fresh fruit. Every now and then some of us would take a dip in the water to cool down from the massive heat that was beating down on us, and also continue to slather on sunscreen.  I spent a lot of my time laying in the sun, listening to music, and resting. It was fantastic. Around 4:30 pm we decided it was time to leave the beach, so we took some pictures, put on our clothes, and left.

We then proceeded to wander around Lido doing a bit of shopping and looking out for a good place to sit down and have dinner. We found a nice place outside around 6pm, and started off by ordering a caprese salad to share amongst the fiver of us, which worked out so that we each got a tomato and a piece of mozzarella. For the meal, almost all five of us ordered the gnocchi, and it was yummy. We shared a chocolate mousse for dessert which was good but strangely very hard, as in we had to push the spoon very hard in order to get any of it.

After dinner we headed back to San Servolo and met up with the others who had not gone to Lido. We all met in my room around 9:30 and planned our trip to Verona on Sunday. We bought tickets and discussed where to go and what to see since it would only be a day trip. Then we all sat around until about midnight just talking and having fun. When everyone left, I went to bed because it had been a long day and I was very tired.







Ciao for now!